Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Eye Candy--Book trailers

This morning I woke up determined to create a book trailer for Tangi's Teardrops. I know I could spend the time editing but I'm finally DONE. My part at least. I've sent the book off for final editing/proofreading. I also hired a cover artist to tweak my cover. I also scheduled an appointment with a blurb doctor.

That left me with a lot of time on my hands and I needed something to do. I could start doing the final editing on my novel, Chocolate Aftertaste, which I plan to get published not long after Tangi's Teardrops, but I need a break from editing right now.

That's when the trailer idea set in. I collected the photos I needed, listened to royalty free music clips and opened up my video maker software (I've done a few videos before for fun so I wasn't nervous at all).

After all the excitement, however, in the end, I decided not to do it. The reason is, I read a few articles and conversations in writer forums and many people claim that sometime book trailers push them away rather than draw them in. When they read a book, they want to use their own imaginations instead of having images dished out to them on  a computer screen.

Book trailers take a long time to create and if I have to create one, I want it to increase the fans for my books instead of decrease them.

Don't get me wrong, some people love book trailers and a few have bought books based on some but from what I've read, not many.

I don't know. I might change my mind about book trailers at some point and surprise you with one. Come to think of it, it might be sooner than later because I just love book trailers and I would actually be tempted to buy a book after watching one (If I loved it).

But before that, I'll be sharing ones that I love. So every week, in addition to posting novel covers, I'll also post one or two book trailers.

Here is the first batch.



                                                        SKIPPING A BEAT BY SARAH PEKKANEN

                                                        SECRETS OF SURRENDER BY MADELINE HUNTER
         This was one of the very first book trailers I saw about a year ago loved, especially the music.

 
AN AFFINITY FOR SHADOWS BY LIZ R. NEWMAN

Enjoy and tell me what you think.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Liz,

    I haven't ever bought a book based on the trailer and must admit I have to be really interested in what I've heard about the book to look at the trailer. That said, I do think if they're done well, they make the story sound like a must read

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the book trailer because it gives you a preview of what the book is about. I would love for someone to do a book trailer for me or show me how!
    http://urbanbooksbymelissalove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete