Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The gift of creation

Did I mention I love being a writer? Okay. Then let me tell you something you don't know. I really love being a writer.
I love that I have the power to create and destroy as I please. At the moment, I'm at a stage in my novel where I'm about to break a character's hand. I don't know yet exactly how it will happen, but I have enough words at my disposal to create something that will fall on his hand and fracture his bones.
Don't worry. I have nothing against him. I'm actually doing it for him. When he realizes a few pages later why I did it, he'll actually thank me for it. See, I'm not that mean. I wouldn't hurt a beloved character just because it brings me pleasure. I'm a romance writer after all. I'm in the business of creating love, not pain.
What I'm trying to say here is that writing is an amazing thing and I thank God for giving me this gift. Sometimes I flip through my manuscript(s) and am still astonished that what had started as one word, is now a whole new world with people breathing, eating, drinking, laughing, and living in it. Really, can it get better than that?

2 comments: