Monday, May 9, 2011

Editing blues and writer's block

I'm kind of lost at the moment. I'm practically done writing Chocolate Aftertaste. All that's left are some edit finishing touches and I'm finding it so hard. I wrote an 80 000 word manuscript. How did that happen when I'm finding it so hard to get through this editing? I hate editing, I hate it like the pest.

Sorry for venting out loud. I needed to let out some steam. Editing is pushing me into writer's block. It has to stop. It has to stop now.
An hour ago I made a decision. I'm going to create a fixed writing schedule. I'm not a morning person, at least that's what I'd been telling myself for as long as I can remember. I've decided to check if that is actually true.

Lately there just don't seem to be enough hours in my day. There are so many things vying for my attention. When I get back from work, cook, eat,study etc., my day melts away like an ice cube in warm water. I try to squeeze in a few hours a week to edit, but I still don't feel like I'm getting anywhere.

What I need is a fixed writing schedule and that's what I'm about to create. From tomorrow morning, I'm going to be waking up earlier so I can write/edit for two hours before leaving for work. I know it probably won't be that easy. You have no idea how much I love my morning sleep. I do hope it gets easier with each day. I'll keep my eyes fixed on the goal. I want to start searching for agents by my 30th birthday in June-my present to myself. I hope that keeps me keeping on.

6 comments:

  1. Eyes on the prize. How bad do you want to query. That should keep you focused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel your pain. Im in the process of a pretty large edit/re-write and it's very daunting! I agree with Anne, eyes on the prize. Writing the book is actually the easiest part. You will make it through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many days it feels as though there aren't enough hours in a day. Getting up earlier and being on a schedule will definitely help you.

    Editing is not my favourite thing to do, but once I get going, I start enjoying the process.

    Hope you get it all done in good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All great tips: thank you everyone for the encouragement. EYES ON THE PRICE!!! Hope I manage to get up early tomorrow morning. I told my husband to pour cold water on me if I don't...as if he'd dare:-).I'll definitely keep you updated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it Liz! I understand not having the time. With three kiddos, I've got to squeeze in my writing whenever I can, and the current rewrite of my WIP is giving me indigestion.

    I've heard some people say that they take a few weeks' break from draft to editing. Then they come back with fresh eyes. Might be beneficial for you? But hang in there, and keep those eyes on the prize!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mysti, I really respect you and other mothers/writers.
    Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate it as always.

    ReplyDelete