For as long as I can remember, I've never been a fan of editing. My neglected manuscripts are my witnesses. Every time I wrote The End and it was time to clean up those babies, I started with the creation of another. Chocolate Aftertaste is the first novel to stick with me through three or four edits.
But I do have to say, this week, especially, I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I've actually been looking forward to it. Who would have thought. Hmmmm...maybe I'll fall in love with writing query letters and synopses at some point (No, I don't think that love story will become a reality).
I don't know for how long I'll be on a high like this. I just thought that before I start criticizing myself again, I should write this post. That way, when I get down, you can remind me of when I was up.
Being a writer is beautiful and so rewarding when it's going well right?
I don't know what I'll do when (yes, when) one of my books gets published. I'll probably sleep with it under my pillow and several times during the night I'll check to see that it's really there.
Actually, when I get the news that Chocolate Aftertaste (or any of my work) will be published, I'll do the following:
- Receive the news
- Remain in a state of shock for a while, staring into space
- Body starts functioning again
- Skip around the house like a crazy woman mumbling "I did it, I did it, I did it"
- Call my husband (if he's not with me to tell him the news) and probably won't reach him. Have you noticed that when you have fantastic news and want to tell the world, no one seems to be reachable? I hate that.
- Call friends (possibly also unreachable)--temptation to call non-friends rises (I don't like word enemy)
- Retry calling friends several times more until I reach them
- Scream into their ears for joy
- Tell you guys (Best for last)
What would you do if you got news that your hard work has paid off? We all celebrate in different ways so don't be shy. Come on, let's dream together. If you're already published, tell us what you did.
Here's a nice photo for you taken in Salzburg in Austria last year. Just something to brighten your day.